Golf aficionados are chomping at the bit (foaming at the tee?) awaiting the opening of the new 18-hole Tom Weiskopf course at Kukui’ula on the south shore. Slated to open in 2011, the 216-acre course is more challenging than traditional resort layouts and promises to be a uniquely “island-style” golf experience. True to the course’s plantation theme, holes will play through orchards, gardens and native landscape—with spectacular ocean views along the way.
Meanwhile, Princeville’s Prince Course was just ranked 22nd on GOLF Magazine’s biennial “Top 100 U.S. Courses You Can Play” list—and five Kauai courses landed in their ranking of the top twenty in Hawaii:
- #2 – The Prince Course (Robert Trent Jones Jr.)
- #5 – Poipu Bay (Robert Trent Jones Jr.)
- #8 – Princeville Makai Course (Robert Trent Jones Jr.)
- #16 – Puakea (Robin Nelson)
- #18 – Kaua’i Lagoons (Jack Nicklaus)